In the long running game show “Let’s Make a Deal”, contestants are asked to choose the hidden prize behind door number one, two, or three in a popular segment of the program. Due to the original host’s name, this is sometimes called the Monty Hall problem. Which door would you choose?
Did you know that you and I play this game every day? I’ll name our two doors “Jesus” and “Not Jesus”. We have the opportunity to choose one or the other each day of our lives. I can’t tell you what exactly is behind either of the doors. I do know a portion of what is there, though.
For door number one, the Jesus door, here is a portion of the prize package.
- Peace – you will be offered a peace of mind that defies explanation and does not rely on your circumstances
- Joy – you will have access to a contentment that, again, is not dependent on your current state of affairs
- Protection – you will have the protection of the one who loves you so much that he chose to give his life for yours; no matter where you are, no matter what you’ve done, he will seek and find you; you will never, ever be alone
For door number two, the Not Jesus door, there are many hidden options. However, I can make a good guess about them. You see, I know a secret: we were created to worship our father in heaven. If we choose not to worship him, we end up worshiping something else. Here are some greatest hits. One or more is located behind your door number two.
- Money – we often mistake wealth for security; it’s a cup with no bottom, it’s never filled
- Possessions – house, car, clothes… you cannot purchase peace, joy, or protection
- Another person – we sometimes choose to place our faith in a spouse or significant other, father or mother, child, or friend… no person can be God for you, no one is capable of carrying that burden
- Sex outside marriage – short term satisfaction leads to long term destruction, it’s the “great exchange” and will never fulfill you
Choose the Jesus door. “I’ll take door number one, Monty.” It’s a sure thing!