Song lyrics often speak to the human condition, in general, and always comment on the song writer’s state of mind. Here is a sample from my drive to work today (you should know that I’m a sucker for 80s metal, 90s grunge, and today’s pop — I love the new house music vibe)…
- I’m like a bird, I’ll only fly away, I don’t know where my soul is, I don’t know where my home is
- We crave a different kind of buzz
- We found love in a hopeless place
- Love, baby, that’s where it’s at
What do these mean in the context of a relationship with God? We were made to worship our creator. It is inherent to our nature. We WILL direct our adoration somewhere:
- security and significance
- another person.
Anything that we worship apart from God is an idol — it doesn’t need to be carved from wood or stone. Idol worship is taking a good thing and making it an ultimate thing. God worship is the only solution that will not fail you.